Let's bust some plant-based myths. Vegans can now enjoy fondue too this winter. This indulgent fondue is made with a creamy "cheese" sauce infused with fragrant garlic, onion, thyme and some white wine. It's Pigs in Blankets Day as well today, so it's only appropriate to devour this dish with some of those too (except no pigs are harmed here). All in a crispy bread bowl of course.
Cheese fondue to ring in the New Year? Find the full recipe below 👇
🧀 Ingredients to share between 4
- 500ml soya milk
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ onion diced
- Few thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 200ml white wine
- 60g vegan butter block
- 60g flour
- 100g vegan cheese - we used Violife
- 20g nutritional yeast
Veggies in blankets:
10 bacons rashers
10 cocktail sausages
2 tbsp cranberry sauce
Large bread roll
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan / gas mark 6.
- Add the soya milk in a pan along with garlic, onion, thyme.
- Bring to a boil and remove for the heat. Leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, add the white wine and reduce to half on a high heat.
- Once reduced, remove from the pan and set aside. Add the vegan butter block in the pan and melt on a low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour and stir on a medium heat until it starts to form a sandy texture.
- Strain and collect the milk through a colander to get all the veg out and then add the milk to the flour along with the wine. Stir with a whisk on a low heat until it thickens well.
- While you keep an eye on the sauce, take the bacon slices and roll them around the mini sausages (you can use large sausages if needed). Once they are all rolled, add onto a baking tray with parchment paper. Brush with cranberry sauce and add into the oven for 8 minutes.
- Finish the sauce off by adding in the vegan cheese and nutritional yeast. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Cut the top off the bread roll and scoop the middle part out (this can be used as breadcrumbs or for cutting into dices and using to dip into the cheese).
- Add the cheese sauce inside and the veggies in blankets on the side.