1 Pot Smoky Sausage Casserole with Rosemary Dumplings For 4
8 vegan sausages (Meatless Farm or Richmond are Joe's faves)
Splash Sunflower oil
1 red onion - 2cm dices
1 red pepper - 2cm dices
1 yellow pepper - 2cm dices
2 celery stalks - 1cm dices
2 cloves garlic - roughly chopped
3 Thyme sprigs
Pinch Fine salt Salt
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp white pepper
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp dried oregano
2 tins Tomato chopped
2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
1 small tin butterbean
2 tbsp smoked liquid
- 50g vegan Suet
- 90g plain flour
- 4g baking powder
- 1tsp fine salt
- pinch cracked black pepper
- 7 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary sprigs
- Small baguette
- 2 tbsp plant butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- sprinkle salt
- Preheat the oven to 220c, gas mark 8
- Add in the sunflower oil into a large pan on a medium heat (make sure the pan is high sided and fits in the oven)
- Add in the red onion & peppers. Cook till the peppers start to brown.
- Add in the celery, garlic & thyme. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add in the spices and cook them off for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes with the water, & balsamic vinegar & simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the casserole is simmering. Start on the dumplings. Add all the dumpling ingredients into a bowl and mix. Don't over mix too much.
- Once the sauce is done, add in the butter bean and mix well.
- Add then add the sausages over the top, followed by 8 pieces of the dumpling mix.
- Add into the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- For the garlic bread, slice the baguette into 8 slices. Chop the garlic really finely with the salt. Add into a bowl with the butter and mix. Spread the bread on both sides. Add into the oven with the casserole for 2 minutes.
- Remove the casserole once the sausages are browned on top nicely.