Ingredients 🌱 (Makes 1 large swiss log for up to 8 people)
- 185g self raising flour
- 10g corn flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 150ml non-dairy milk (we used unsweetened soya milk)
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 50g melted plant based butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 150g canned pumpkin puree
- 300ml plant based cream
- 50g caster sugar
- 40ml canned pumpkin puree -½ tsp cinnamon
- 100g blackcurrant puree or any berry puree is fine (optional)
- Icing sugar (for topping)
- 200g chopped roasted mixed nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan. Line a 10 x 8 inch low sided baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix the non-dairy milk and the cider vinegar together in a bowl and leave for 5 minutes. This should thicken and become your buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sifted dry ingredients and give it a mix.
- Mix the melted butter, vanilla extract, salt and puree together with the buttermilk mixture.
- Add all the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and with a whisk.
- Transfer the mix into the baking tray, making sure it is spread evenly. Bake for 13-15 mins - depending on the oven.
- For the garnish, add all the top 4 garnish ingredients into a bowl. Use an electric whisk to form a thick whipped cream.
- Once the swiss roll is cooked - the mixture should spring back when touching it - immediately loosen and turn the cake onto a prepared towel (make sure the towel has a good amount of icing sugar over it).
- Carefully peel off the paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool on the wire rack.
- Unroll the cake. Spread a thin layer of the puree followed by the cream mixture over - save some for topping. Re-roll it & refrigerate one hour.
- Add the rest of the cream mixture on top. Sprinkle nuts & icing sugar.