The real question here is - do you have your scones with cream or jam on top? Be careful, there is a wrong answer.
Chef Joe knows the correct answer and created this delicious vegan scones recipe with, that's right, cream on top!
Get ready to start this Wimbledon season the right, and tastiest, way.
Chef Joe's Strawberry and Cream Scones recipe 👇
🗒 Ingredients for 8 scones
350g self-raising flour 1tsp baking powder 60g caster sugar ½ tsp fine sea salt
90g vegan butter - diced into cubes (ideally a block of butter is better)
180g unsweetened dairy-free milk 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
A handful of dried fruit, to make fruit scones (optional) Extra milk + maple syrup for glazing
100g fresh or frozen strawberries 15g sugar
Plant-based cream 10g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C fan.
- Sieve the dry scone ingredients into a bowl.
- Add in the cubes of butter and rub into the flour until it resembles crumbs
- In a jug, add the milk & vinegar. Mix well.
- Add the milk and vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough into rough circles around 4cm deep and cut out using cutters around 5cm. Any leftover dough re-roll and cut out again.
- Place the scones onto a lined baking tray.
- In a small bowl mix 3 tbsp plant milk and 2 tbsp of maple syrup.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the glazing on top of the scones and then add place into the oven for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven to cool and add your jam followed by whipped cream.